Monday, May 24, 2010

Finally in Spain!

Hola todo el mundo!

I finally arrived! Yay! Getting a taxi in Madrid was a joke, seeing as we had too many bags. They wouldn't take three people and 4 bags. So...what'd we do? We put my smaller suitcase inside of my bigger one. No worries, we're pretty crafty! Anyway, we finally got to the bus station and caught the next bus up to Oviedo. Meeting my family was hilarious. My foster mom, Juliana, came in to get me and I made the two kisses on the cheek way awkward. No worries, leave it up to me to be the awkward American. Ha. The next feat was lifting my beast of a bag into their car. That was funny. My foster dad, Chema, speaks English. Which is helpful, but I'm going to try to speak as little as possible in English. Solo en español! They have two daughters, Marta y Deva, who both speak English as well. They are both very close to my age. Juliana speaks no English. I have my own room, and they cook every meal for me. (they eat really healthy too!) I feel so lucky! They are so kind and patient with my spanish.

Today has been an interesting day. First of all, I had the weirdest dreams last night that my mattress had bed bugs. But no worries, I remedied it with cinnamon. Apparently dream bed bugs are killed by cinnamon. Today we met at the cathedral (the one in the picture) and walked to the Universidad de Oviedo, where we will take our classes. During our break I decided to buy a new flat iron even though I brought mine and a converter. I heard they can still break pretty easily. We arrive at the store and the first flat iron we saw was 2,99 euros! Basically $5...stuff is cheap here! It doesn't look super crappy either, but, as Deva says, we'll see how my hair looks when I use it! I just had my first successful conversation since I've been here. It was with Chema. He's a very nice man. And what are the odds that he's an anesthesiologist, which is what I want to be? Some deity must love me. =)

0 comments: