Monday, May 31, 2010

Gijón and Sidra!

Hello all! I can't believe my first week is over and I'm already into the second. Sweet sassy molassy, time goes by fast! This last weekend was a blast and a half, to say the least. On Friday night we went on an excursion to a bar called Tierra Astur. Basically, I got a grade to watch my classmates and professors drink. I had a lot of fun though. In Asturia (the region of spain which includes Oviedo, Gijón, and Aviles) they have an alcoholic drink called Sidra, which is native to the region. When served, it is poured from a giant keg and then you catch it quite a ways away with your cup. It is kinda crazy. You can see in my picture! Anyway, I wanted to pour some, but obviously not drink some. It took my entire arm span to reach the bucket. Ha! They also served us tapas, which are like appetizers. They also had free bottles of coke (the glass kind) which me and my non-drinking friends used to toast with everybody else! One of the professors had a friend who is in a band so he brought his guitar and played for us. He played a lot of Beatles, CCR, and Eagles. All of us were singing at the top of our lungs, including Rubio our program director. It was hilarious to watch us all. I think that everybody else in the restaurant wanted to strangle us though. We had our own area, but it was only separated by a half-wall. They all stared at us as we left. I probably would too if a loud group of 50 foreign people walked by me. :)

On Saturday we went on a trip to Gijón. It is a beautiful city, but since the tour was in Spanish. I can't really tell you a whole lot except that one of the streets we drove down is where people go to jog, run, or ride their bikes. Ha ha. After Gijón we went to the beach. A-MAZING. Seriously, well you can see by the pictures! And the water was not as cold as I expected it to be. It was less salty than the Pacific Ocean too. Random. No worries though, I fried my back. It's SO red. And now it's a hassle to get dressed and walk all around the city with my backpack on. We walk everywhere here. It's great exercise. It's about a 15 minute walk from my house to school. And anywhere else from there takes about 20-30 minutes. (It's all uphill too.)

0 comments: